HAND HELP PLEASEEEE

This section is intended ONLY for topics which are no longer relevant, but may be needed for future reference.
Carcharias
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends
Pronouns: she/her
Preferred Name: Allison

Pride

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:21 pm

lmao hands infuriate me so much, im even trying to reference my own hands and nothing is looking right.

here's the reference pic i took .... of myself...

silliness aside, i want the hands to look somewhat like how i have mine. can anyone point me in the right direction??? ;___; i have tried and tried tbh
any help is appreciated
0 x
Reikou
Spellweaver and Wordsmith

Pride

Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:49 pm

You are really pretty
ANYWAY
I've noticed hands look hella weird when it's just the outline, so it may not be just you, it could be mostly the lack of depth. Try shading it after sketching it out, maybe :)
0 x
TwiztidSkitzoWolf
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor
Pronouns: She/her
Species: Walrus/Fox/Lemur

Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:55 pm

I cant do it but I can say the left hand, the curve from the thumb to palm, looks off. :/ not really helpful but I wanted to mostly post to say... You're so adorable <3 lol *pets your pretty face*
0 x
Quinn on the chats
Image Image Image
Carcharias
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends

Pride

Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:56 pm

SCREM
thank you i forgot about this LMAO
0 x
ANORUK
Species: goat

Pride

Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:21 pm

this isnt perfect bc i ain't no hand expert, but here we go!

hands are pretty complex, honestly probably on par or even more complex than the body itself, so it definitely helps to start out with a skeleton of them.
my first drawing there is my skeleton, second is just color coded to make sense of my messy scribbles. i first start out with a square/rectangle for the palm, then add on the fleshy part of the thumb using a triangle, and from there i just use sticks to indicate where i want the fingers to go. then from there, i flesh it all out and make adjustments as needed

heres what that ends up looking like on your guy there:

and here's some tips that may help you (or anyone else!) in future hand endeavors:
-including the fingernails, even if its just a small line to indicate where they are, can really help get across what direction the fingers are facing, and makes it easier to make sense of the hand.
-fingers have webbing! we ain't frogs, but there is a bit of a fleshiness between our fingers. make a fist and look at your knuckles, and notice that the crease between your fingers only goes about half or two thirds of the way to your knuckles. its good to keep this in mind when drawing all sorts of hand positions. forgetting this webbing can make things look a little odd.
-unless the finger is perfectly straight, always try to include all three segments of the finger (or two segments of the thumb) when working out the skeleton of the hand! even if you want the finger to look a little curved, thats something you can add in after the skeleton is finished. using just a curve as a guideline for a finger can easily throw you off.

in general, i believe that everyone has their own way that works best for them. i learned to draw the skeleton of the hand very differently from what i just showed up above, but as i drew more and more, i developed my own way of doing the skeleton that made the most sense to me. i recommend trying out a few different ways of drawing the skeleton to see what works best for you

i personally have a lot more to learn about drawing hands myself, but i hope this helped you, or anyone else who takes a look at this!
0 x
carve the runes
then be content with silence

CHARACTERS | ART | DEVIANTART
~persephone on chat~
KuraiAme
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:16 pm

This video helped me out so much in the past!
https://youtu.be/qUbt1l4tBJg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't watched this one, yet, but it seems like it'd be helpful for you!
https://youtu.be/3-SqpnZ2rnI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0 x
FunSizedMeanie
Pronouns: She/Her

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Posting on here because I want to keep track of hand drawing advice lol
0 x
hiddickington
Omniscient
Omniscient
Pronouns: he/him
Preferred Name: hans

Pride

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:40 pm

anoruk you are a gift
0 x
Carcharias
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends

Pride

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:58 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH ANORUK <3333
0 x
ANORUK
Species: goat

Pride

Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:07 pm

you're very welcome!!! hands are an absolute bitch to draw. even when i think i understand them, they somehow find a way to stump me. i'm very happy to spare fellow artists from some of that suffering the best i can LMAO

the videos kurai linked also help a ton. i first started to get a hang of drawing hands from watching that first one
0 x
carve the runes
then be content with silence

CHARACTERS | ART | DEVIANTART
~persephone on chat~
Locked Previous topicNext topic