texturing art by crepusculecat!

This section is intended ONLY for topics which are no longer relevant, but may be needed for future reference.
crepusculecat
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:46 pm

i have this posted at my tumblr, but i figure it would help out people over here. i get questions about my texturing a lot, and it's actually quite simple !!

i get all of my textures from http://lostandtaken.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. it is really a great website, everything is free-to-use, the textures are clean and hi-res.
since i get asked this a lot, i’m going to take a moment to explain how it is done, using my last piece as an example!

< no texture | texture >

how do i do this?? WELL, that is a good question! i usually use 2-3 different textures, i find that using only one shows the blemishes too much, which there are always some. multiples help a piece look more even!

i usually do two layers of multiply, one layer of overlay. the overlay tends to give it that bright, vibrant color, and shows better on the darker colors, where multiply alone wouldn’t show. i play around a lot with the opacity, but safe ranges are usually between 15-30%, in my opinion, especially if you are using three.

if you use sai, your layer options are here:

and of course, photoshop, which has a LOT more layer options, here:

i would mess around with all your options when you are learning, really get a feel for what kind of style suits you ! and it is that simple, anon! of course, for the finished image on the right, i also altered the colors a bit after the fact, and used a sharpening filter. now go make some lovely art !!
0 x
a skinny cat stretched out on the pavement
3eyedfeline.com
commissions | @crepusculecat - twttr | tmblr| dvntrt | faffnty
FrightBeast
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!

Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:14 am

Ahhh thank you so much for sharing! ;____; life-saver <3333
0 x
Locked Previous topicNext topic