How to: Access Wolfhome chat via Android device

This section is intended ONLY for topics which are no longer relevant, but may be needed for future reference.
Rooster
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:11 pm

Important note: Please read this post thoroughly! Flash player is technically unsupported for Android. You may still install as per the instructions but do understand that it is not 100% functional!

If you are using Android version 4.4.x, please see the bottom paragragh on the known issues section.

Amended note for admins: Do not use chat on Android if you plan to be on duty. You will not be able to fully perform your duties such as copying logs from chat and will not receive the howl notification sound.

---
TESTED USING:
Spoiler! :
Custom ROMs:
Slimkat ROM - Android version 4.4.2 (Needs third party browser)
CyanogenMod 10.1.x - Android version 4.2.x
CyanogenMod 9.1.x - Android version 4.0.4

Stock ROMs:
Android version 4.1.2
Android version 4.0.4
Android version 2.3.6 (Needs third party browser)

If you have an version of Android not listed in the tested section please let me know if it works or not!
---
If you are on the go and like to access Wolfhome wherever you are, and own an Android device, then this post will teach you how to successfully connect via your phone or tablet!

INSTRUCTIONS: (with images)
Spoiler! :
Step 1. Go to Settings > Security and make sure the option for "Unknown Sources" is checked. You can uncheck this once Flash player has been installed. For Android 2.x this option is under Settings > Applications.

Step 2. Head to Adobe's Flash Player Archive page and download the most recent version of Flash for your Android version (4.0, 3.0, 2.0...). For Android 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4, please use the Android 4.0 version. It works! It is IMPORTANT that you are sure of what Android version you are running. If you are not sure, go to your Settings > About Device.

Step 3. Install Flash on to your device. Follow the prompts and select "Done" when it's finished.

Step 4. Open up your browser and enjoy Wolfhome!
---
There are some bugs for this so please do not complain that it not is working properly. Technically, Flash Player for Android is unsupported, meaning they do not do any more updates or service on them. There's really nothing that can be done as far as I know to fix issues permanently. If you've got a fix let me know. :bighappywolf:

KNOWN ISSUES:
Spoiler! :
*Chat scroll stretches with each new post.
To fix: Use the NEW Wolfhome chat client.

*Chat scroll on NEW client becomes transparent on the room background.
To fix: Select the little arrow on the right side of the scroll to set it to opaque. Sometimes this works to stop it but can also revert to transparency after you input and send text through the chat.

*Chat scroll does not let you scroll up to check older messages.
There is no known fix for this. However, I have not seen this issue happen on Android version 4.0.x

*Unable to click rooms on the map.
On Android 2.x I was not able to access rooms, bodyshop or the mysts from the map itself, but able to do so through the side menu.

*Howl notification does not work.
Unfortunately, this is something that just does not work on Android apparently.

*Unable to copy text from chat scroll.
Again, another unfortunate side effect of using Android.

*Flash is even more so not supported on Android version 4.4.x.
After several tests the only browser I got to function was Dolphin Browser. The default browser did not work.
If anybody uses the newest version of Android (KitKat) and can confirm that this does or does not work it would be greatly appreciated! (Theory tested using SlimKat ROM 4.4.2)
---
Browsers that are tested to "work":
Stock Android Browser, Boat Browser, Flash Fox, Dolphin Browser, Photon Flash Player & Browser, Ninesky Browser, Easy Browser, Maxthon Browser. You can download any of these for free on Google Play. The Stock Android Browser is already installed on your device.

Note: You may have to go in to the settings of the browser and make sure that either Plug-ins are enabled as Always On, or On Demand. Certain browsers will have a Flash Player option of Always On, On Demand, or Off. I have only ever gotten them to work with the Always On option used.

Happy chatting~
0 x

ImageImageImage

Spook10175
Omega - Newcomer
Omega - Newcomer

Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:50 pm

Does this work on Apple I-Pod touch? If so, Can you show me how to set it up?
0 x
[color="#FFFFFF"> "Friends are the most greatest things in life."
4/29/14 <3
Clovette
Omniscient
Omniscient
Preferred Name: Heather
Species: Human

Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:54 pm

just go update/install flash and you can log in
0 x
🐈
Spook10175
Omega - Newcomer
Omega - Newcomer

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:43 pm

It won't let me do it. It says:

"We're sorry! But adobe flash cannot download this content because it isn't supported by your device. You can get on a desktop computer and download adobe flash. Sorry!"

And I can't get on a laptop because I'm grounded. My grandfather has a tablet. I might can do the steps above and sneak on WolfHome. But if I get caught, then I guess my punishment will be longer. So, Yeah.
0 x
[color="#FFFFFF"> "Friends are the most greatest things in life."
4/29/14 <3
eliysia
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:58 pm

apple/mac ipad and/or ipod products do not run java or flash
0 x
ilobmirt
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Shaman - Secret Keeper

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:35 pm

What a lovely tutorial Rooster. You really make me proud :smile: <3 I note that you have used this with a cyanogen mod version of android. Is there any particular reason for it? Would a stock android device do?
0 x
ImageImage
Wolfhome Awards 2013
Class Clown + Most Likely To Be A Superhero
Rooster

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:01 pm

LordDarcia12345 wrote:Does this work on Apple I-Pod touch? If so, Can you show me how to set it up?
Apple's iOS does not support flash so you cannot access WH on a mobile Apple device, unfortunately.
ilobmirt wrote:What a lovely tutorial Rooster. You really make me proud :smile: <3 I note that you have used this with a cyanogen mod version of android. Is there any particular reason for it? Would a stock android device do?
Yes! This totally works with stock Android! I only installed Cyanogenmod on my tablet for a better user experience. (I found stock to be very buggy in comparison)

I use my phone sometimes, and while the screen is very tiny it still works~
0 x

ImageImageImage

Rooster

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:37 am

First post updated. Added known issue, important note, tested with another version.
0 x

ImageImageImage

Apollo
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Pronouns: he/him

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:43 am

Marking thank you<3
0 x
he is half of my soul,
as the poets say
Rooster

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:36 pm

Updated again. Edits: Added 2 more confirmed working devices. Formatted. Spelling. Extra installation information for older versions.
0 x

ImageImageImage

Rooster

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Added:
Amended note for admins
2 known issues: no howl notification and cannot copy or select text from chat scroll
0 x

ImageImageImage

Locked Previous topicNext topic