Project Arcadia: Skinning The Forums Overview

This section is intended ONLY for topics which are no longer relevant, but may be needed for future reference.
john locke
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi guys!

I'm a web designer and casual poster. Unfortunately, I've noticed that the forums haven't been given as much attention as they deserve. So, I've taken it upon myself to give the forums a face-lift on my own - and releasing them to you guys to use!

For clarification, I am not an administrator or a moderator of these forums. This project is not condoned or sponsored by forum staff -- I'm just a guy interested in UI design, solving challenges and giving back to the community.

Project Arcadia
There are a few points that should be observed and some caveats to keep in mind.
  • All changes are purely cosmetic and achieved only by using CSS. No HTML is being changed and there is no Javascript being used.
  • You will have to install a browser extension (Stylish for Chrome) to make it work
Goals:
  • To create a library of well designed stylesheets to enhance end-user experience
Limitations:
  • The forum is operating on an outdated codebase - this means we don't have the latest developments in naming structure.
  • Lack of properly specific CSS selectors limit the ease of styling - this means we have to get creative with our selectors.
  • This will only work on the most modern browsers due to some of the hacks and workarounds that are necessary - backwards compatibility is not a priority here.
  • No access to HTML - although I've done the best I could, there's no getting around poorly written HTML. Our forum software is 6 years out of date.
We could achieve a lot more (making things more responsive, etc) if access to the forum templates was opened up to me -- but let's work with what we have! I'll be updating this thread with links to new skins as they're released.

Skins: Please feel free to leave any feedback and suggestions you may have. Enjoy!
0 x
a beautiful gasoline rainbow
be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle
john locke
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Installation Instructions
Chrome
  • You must change your forum board style to use the theme wolfhome-2. Click this link to change it.
  • If you do not have Stylish installed, please click here, install and enable it.
  • Within the Stylish extension, go into your Manage Installed Styles screen.
    Spoiler! :
  • Once you're here, click Write a New Style in the left sidebar.
    Spoiler! :
  • Name the skin and check 'enabled'.
    Spoiler! :
  • For each skin in Project Arcadia, there will be around 3 scripts to copy. You'll see a box on the right -- (depending on the skin) you want to create 3 in total.
    Spoiler! :
  • Visit the skin you want to use and open the project files. You want to make sure you paste the URL in your browser to see the complete CSS code.
  • Copy the entire main file with all the code into the first box. Click the specify button and change the dropdown to URLs starting with.

In this box:
    For main files, you will insert: http://forum.wolfhome.com/
    For forum files, you will insert: viewtopic.php
    For topic files, you will insert: viewforum.php

Repeat until all three files have been copied into a single box. Make sure the URLs are correct. Then, save the changes in the left-hand sidebar with the button Save.
    Spoiler! :
  • Enjoy!
Firefox / IE Support to come.
0 x
john locke
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:36 pm

This post is reserved for project roadmap.
0 x
eliysia
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:53 pm

interesting..
0 x
Riku
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!