Shading Fur?

This section is intended ONLY for topics which are no longer relevant, but may be needed for future reference.
Crepetto
Adept Protector
Adept Protector

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:53 am

Alright, I'm entirely stumped. I honestly do not understand furring at all.
I mean, I've looked through who knows how many tutorials.

http://sullivan.deviantart.com/art/A-Fu ... -217035127

Such as Kesame's/Sullivan's.
Don' get me wrong, it's a wonderful tutorial!
I just don't understand how to get from the outline through the shading?
I try to shade it and it just turns out looking like it's heavily outlined and it's ugly.
If you guys could explain more in detail, I would be so appreciative!
This is basically all I know whenever it comes to furring.
Probably none of it's correct. lmfao. I really need some help.
Spoiler! :
Sorry, it's probably a bit big. ;o;
0 x
Chenneoue
Spellweaver and Wordsmith

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:29 am

Maybe I am slow here... but are you looking for an outline? Or no outline, or one that just peeks through?

You can create an outline and use different layering effects to change on it looks and works. If you don't want one, you would likely create new layers about the outline to paint over it. A "peeking" (not sure what else to call it) outline, is somewhere in the middle of all this. You can create layers above and below the outline to show as much or as little as you want.

Not sure that helps.
0 x
Crepetto
Adept Protector
Adept Protector

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Chenneoue wrote:Maybe I am slow here... but are you looking for an outline? Or no outline, or one that just peeks through?

You can create an outline and use different layering effects to change on it looks and works. If you don't want one, you would likely create new layers about the outline to paint over it. A "peeking" (not sure what else to call it) outline, is somewhere in the middle of all this. You can create layers above and below the outline to show as much or as little as you want.

Not sure that helps.
I'm really wanting it to be as realistic, yet smooth and fluffy as possible. lmfao. If that makes any sense?
Like in the steps, it says: Make an outline of where the fur's going to be. So, I do that.
Yet the next step says to shade the outline. I try to do this, but it just looks gross, and makes it just
look like a heavy outline.
But I'll have to try that layers thing that you suggested. :x
I just don't particularly understand how people make it look so smooth and such.
0 x
Crepetto
Adept Protector
Adept Protector

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:18 pm

boop. ;3;
0 x
Chenneoue

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:01 am

Are you using a tablet or a mouse? Are you using hard or "soft" brushes? If you are using a tablet, do you have the pen pressure sensitive feature on? There are so many things that can play in. Sometimes making your brush more transparent so you can layer will help, but generally pressure sensitivity should do the trick. But really, lol Kes is amazing. I don't know how she does it. And she's been doing it for a while.

I am still learning. I think we always are.
0 x
Crepetto
Adept Protector
Adept Protector

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:59 am

Yes, I do use a tablet. I believe it's a bamboo fun or something like that. It's one of the newer versions of bamboo. Anyways, by the pen pressure sensitive feature. Where is that located so I can check to make sure? Is it the shape dynamics? Or? You can tell I'm new to this. lmfao. Pressure sensitivity is probably the problem. And yes, lol.. Kes's work is absolutely stunning.
0 x
Dragoncat

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:09 am

It can also be all about the brushes too.
Her technique involves layering, you always go from dark to light.

I go from bigger brush to smaller brush as well, eventually going down to a little 3px brush to make hairs
https://d.facdn.net/art/dark-dragoncat/ ... ox_png.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You basically make a few lighter patches and slowy go up in lightness, add in a different hues - fur is not all one color

I could show you in stream?
0 x
Crepetto
Adept Protector
Adept Protector

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:11 am

Dragoncat wrote:It can also be all about the brushes too.
Her technique involves layering, you always go from dark to light.

I go from bigger brush to smaller brush as well, eventually going down to a little 3px brush to make hairs
https://d.facdn.net/art/dark-dragoncat/ ... ox_png.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You basically make a few lighter patches and slowy go up in lightness, add in a different hues - fur is not all one color

I could show you in stream?
If you could show me in stream. You have no idea how perfect that would be!
I understand that there's layering...I guess I just have trouble with making it look realistic. idk.
a stream would really help me.
0 x
Chenneoue

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:08 am

I have CS2, so on that, there is a drop down box under....other dynamics, opacity jitter. Don't mess with the actual number, I just change the drop down to pen pressure. The size jitter one too, I often use pen pressure option on it. You can adjust the jitter on it to make it smaller or larger at the ends. I would just experiment with it, till you find the levels you like. :)

BTW, Dragoncat, LOVE that fox. It's very good!
0 x
Dragoncat

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:57 am

Chenneoue wrote:I have CS2, so on that, there is a drop down box under....other dynamics, opacity jitter. Don't mess with the actual number, I just change the drop down to pen pressure. The size jitter one too, I often use pen pressure option on it. You can adjust the jitter on it to make it smaller or larger at the ends. I would just experiment with it, till you find the levels you like. :)

BTW, Dragoncat, LOVE that fox. It's very good!
thank you ><
I had to use a reference, I dont normally do with stuff, but it paid off in the end. I guess I can kinda draw things anatomically correct
0 x
Chenneoue

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:25 am

References can make a LOT of difference. Gives you a guide on what you should be doing, and how it should look. Rather then how you think it should look. :) I am guilty of, this is how I think it should look... D:
0 x
Crepetto
Adept Protector
Adept Protector

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:19 am

LOLOL. Nice conversation. c; jkjk.
And that is a beautiful reference Dragoncat! ;;
If my art could turn out like either yours or Chenneoue's.. I would just die. lmfao.
And Dragon, for the face how would you fur it like at side view?
Are you just using a smaller brush and then different shades underneath?
0 x
Chenneoue

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:12 am

If you need a reference to practice with, I have this on my website: Coyote tail
0 x
Locked Previous topicNext topic