Partners & Siblings/Family on The Administration Team (Poll Closed)

Old announcement of past promotion rounds and updates to Wolfhome.
Sylvah
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds

Hey again Wolfhomies!

We've come to a crossroads with a certain regulation we currently have in place for partners applying and being on the Administration Team. We currently have a Nepotism Policy, so partners have not been able to apply for the Administration at the same time together, or allow the other to send in an Application if one of them are already on the Staff, due to prior circumstances. We have also never had siblings on the Team and was brought to our attention that it is a very big possibility of this happening as well. The Administration is seeking your thoughts and opinions in regards to what we should have in place moving forward, whether that be to allow both, or essentially none. To continue our best efforts of being transparent, we thought this would be a good opportunity to see where everyone stands on the matter. It's important to note that if it were altered to allow both partners and siblings, these individuals would not be able to vote on the other's Application due to the potential bias. Please vote and feel free to leave your opinions in the thread.

The poll options are also listed here below:
  • No to Partners & Siblings/Family
  • Yes to Partners & Siblings/Family
  • I have another opinion (leave a comment)
This poll will run for approximately 1 week.
Please vote in the poll above this thread, or comment to specify and discuss!
Thank you everyone in advance and we look forward to hearing your stance.

Best Regards,
The Wolfhome Administration
Co-Owner & Alpha of Olympus
Come check it out & join our community Discord today!

checkout my ➛ art thread, commissions, & colouring services
view my ➛ links & important information
trello ➛ to-do list commissions
Prior Wolfhome Alpha

17.7.18 | 8.11.19
Hocus
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!

Pride

i voted yes to family & partners but i think you really need to make sure you’re promoting for the right reasons and not just bc admin A is vouching for user B
this is me trying
discord: hannessy
birdie
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends
Pronouns: sher
Preferred Name: birdie, whimsy, HUSH
Species: idiot

Hocus wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:14 pm
i voted yes to family & partners but i think you really need to make sure you’re promoting for the right reasons and not just bc admin A is vouching for user B
exactly. If we've already seen issues in the past with just friendships- it's not about rules on who can apply/be promoted; but how the team is handling itself. I don't think having "regulations" on promotions due to relationships is going to do much except separate mods from users even more for literally no reason.
If anything, it should just be that SOs/family can't vote/vouch for each other when it comes to applications. Both can be on the team. Just treat them as if they're not attached the way they are.

Like I don't give a hoot if the team is made up of the entirely same cloned person if they do a good, unbiased job.

of transparency, shut downs, and plot
I know of no reason why the transparency and shut downs should ever be forgot

XVII days

Loki
Archdruid - Spirit Caller
Pronouns: he/him
Preferred Name: Jayden
Species: Coyote

Pride

birdie wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:45 pm
Hocus wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:14 pm
exactly. If we've already seen issues in the past with just friendships- it's not about rules on who can apply/be promoted; but how the team is handling itself. I don't think having "regulations" on promotions due to relationships is going to do much except separate mods from users even more for literally no reason.
If anything, it should just be that SOs/family can't vote/vouch for each other when it comes to applications. Both can be on the team. Just treat them as if they're not attached the way they are.

Like I don't give a hoot if the team is made up of the entirely same cloned person if they do a good, unbiased job.
Hey guys! Just to give you both a heads up- as of right now the administration does not vote on friends applications and if this rule were to go into place they would be not able to vote on their family or partners application or vouch for them.

"No one bad is ever truly bad, no one good is ever truly good."

Sylvah
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds

Totem is correct, we make sure that the votes are done with unbiased opinions and if someone is too close to someone else applying, they abstain from voting. Partners/Siblings/etc will not be allowed to vote on the other person whether it is their S/O or family member, but it is already common knowledge due to the fact their opinion would be bias. We will treat this fairly if this is something to be altered, and appropriate measures will be taken and put in place. As for Hocus's reply, we can assure you that it wouldn't just be because of Admin A vouches for User B, we take a lot into consideration and to keep a fair environment. I personally do not see the harm in whichever direction we take, although if we allow siblings/partners it would be good to take into consideration how both parties will work together on the staff if they are both accepted. Maintaining a good team environment and atmosphere is a top priority.

Prior Wolfhome Alpha

17.7.18 | 8.11.19
Adits
Gourd Vibes Only
Gourd Vibes Only
Pronouns: She/Her
Preferred Name: Misty

Pride

I voted yes to allow them.. I feel like it isn't fair that partners or family shouldn't be allowed to be on the team at the same time as long as there are some rules put into place.. Along the lines of things regarding bringing any personal business into the team. As long as they can keep personal and business separate I don't think it should be a problem.
Kennedy
Pronouns: They/He
Preferred Name: Lynn
Species: Red Fox/Domestic Cat

Pride

Luckily, Wolfhome isn’t an actual job where this would be an issue. No one is paid a wage to work for Chatlands. Restricting it so partners/family cannot be on the same team is unfair and ridiculously strict. People who are family or partners can do volunteer work and do it all the time. My mom and I volunteered together at an animal shelter once.

Let’s not get into the business of making it difficult to be an admin on Chatlands. I’m a little tired of seeing comparisons made to real life actual jobs where you are paid hourly or salary. Wolfhome is a chat on the Internet with very little compensation for volunteers, not McDonalds or a hospital.
#BlackLivesMatter
GOOSE
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!

this is actually more like a public service job but thats another topic. i don't think they should be allowed just because of conflict of interest and if favoritism is already an issue, why introduce a new ~fun~ variant. just figure out which person would be more suited/interested in applying and go from there and find something else to do
Sylvah
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds

kennedy wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:56 pm
Luckily, Wolfhome isn’t an actual job where this would be an issue. No one is paid a wage to work for Chatlands. Restricting it so partners/family cannot be on the same team is unfair and ridiculously strict. People who are family or partners can do volunteer work and do it all the time. My mom and I volunteered together at an animal shelter once.

Let’s not get into the business of making it difficult to be an admin on Chatlands. I’m a little tired of seeing comparisons made to real life actual jobs where you are paid hourly or salary. Wolfhome is a chat on the Internet with very little compensation for volunteers, not McDonalds or a hospital.
I would like to clarify, it was decided that partners weren't allowed due to incidents that happened before on the Administration with partners. It wasn't always this way, but a rule was implemented to try and avoid it from happening in the future. It created a divide between many, and made an unsettling environment for other members of the Administration at the time. It caused a lot of concern and put others in difficult positions. I'm not speaking for every partner/sibling/etc but it is common for both parties to "gang up" so to speak on things, and can be an issue and unfair to others. Not all the time, but a big majority of the time partners and family members clash and can create a lot of tension within a team environment. This is something we do want to avoid, and to make sure that it does remain professional. This also includes if they are no longer together (partners). It's important to also keep personal matters, and business matters separate and kept amongst themselves or privately - so everything can continue to run smoothly. I can understand where you're coming from, but at the end of the day it's important that everyone is on the same page and can work together cohesively as a Team regardless of their status. I hope this doesn't come off too harshly, I'm merely just trying to inform initially why this was put into place (to also prevent nepotism), as well as other reasons. We do want to make sure it's fair, and thought it would be a good time to reconsider our stance given both parties are understanding of the situations that could occur.

Also do want to say thanks so far to everyone so far who has given their opinions and thoughts, it is very much appreciated <3

Prior Wolfhome Alpha

17.7.18 | 8.11.19
Abraxas
IT'S OVER 9000!
IT'S OVER 9000!
Pronouns: he/him
Preferred Name: andrew

Pride

not to nitpick but while it is considered a volunteer job, it is service work. you deal with problems that wouldn’t come up during a volunteer job, such as having to deal with trolling or other serious rule breaking (not saying that happens often). i just think having partners or family members on the same team could cause some infighting (because of said close relationships) and/or be seen as nepotism.
i know the team doesn’t vote on things that include their friends or a partner but i personally feel like over time that line could be blurred and/or forgotten
you drew stars around my scars,
but now i’m bleeding.
mermaid
Grandmaster - One of but a few.
Grandmaster - One of but a few.
Pronouns: they / them
Preferred Name: Colby

Pride

voted no bc my own personal experiences of being ganged up on. it was a huge issue and it went on for FAR too long
Horiyoko
Omniscient
Omniscient

Teak wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:33 pm
mermaid wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:20 pm
voted no bc my own personal experiences of being ganged up on. it was a huge issue and it went on for FAR too long
I voted for the same reasons. Everyone wants a pleasant environment

˚₊‧꒰ა ♱ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚
And let's be clear
I trust no one.

𖤐︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶𖤐
Aurocard
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer
Pronouns: she/her, derp/dork
Preferred Name: Auro/Aurocard
Species: Squolf

Pride

Voted yes, from what I've been reading on the forums of late, the team seems to have really pulled things together, so that's chill *nods*.
birdie
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends
Pronouns: sher
Preferred Name: birdie, whimsy, HUSH
Species: idiot

also, if I can be blunt: if we cannot trust the mod team to have a handle on their own infighting/bias due to their interpersonal relationships, why are we trusting them to moderate at all? If this is such an issue they need a regulation for it, what else are they and the users lacking such confidence in?

That's also why I voted yes, have your people on the team. Because if it is that much of an issue, then problems go much deeper than I thought and clearly, improvement isn't being made.

I work in an environment where, with no exaggeration, a good 70% of the employees and management are related, dating, or married to each other. And despite the chaos the job can create, things still run smoothly. People handle their issues without it affecting work.
The only places I've worked that had rules about family/spouses working together were larger corporations. This place is not a corporation with thousands of employees. But yeah. It's honestly not that wild of a concept. If y'all can't figure out how to work with that, then you're doing something wrong.

And I do get that you're opening the poll for our input so you can give us the transparency and influence we ask for. I appreciate it. And I'm sure it feels like, sometimes, you guys can't do anything right because we'll even take stuff like this and have issues with it. Kind of true! Welcome to management. Nothing you do will ever be right or appease everyone. Lol.

Also, tangent: if we're going to base mods responsibilities off of their pay, then volunteers like these guys shouldn't be held accountable for anything. Moderating IS a job. So yes, they should be held to the same standards you'd hold managers at any job.
It's actually bullshit they only get subs for it. There's frickin twitch mods out there that get paid a literal salary for moderating chats. And they genuinely earn and deserve it.

of transparency, shut downs, and plot
I know of no reason why the transparency and shut downs should ever be forgot

XVII days

vereena
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Pronouns: she
Preferred Name: morgan
Species: kind bean

Pride

I feel like it is quite a struggle for them I’m sure when we preach about them taking our opinions into consideration just to turn around and belittle them for asking our opinion because “they should know” what is best.

I feel like, in recent events, I would give the benefit of the doubt for the admins and allow those who have close relationships to work together. If that line WERE to become blurred or there was ganging up, those specific admins should be reprimanded and even lose their spot on the team. Without the basic user system, there would be no administrative needed and therefore, I would like to think they would take that pretty seriously this time around. It’s just as easy to allow this rule as it is to remove this rule if problems began and I’ve realized quite recently that WH users will speak up about injustices happening to them. I would like to believe that if this became a problem, administration would listen to the users’ and take action.
these things eat at your bones and drive your young mind crazy
Locked Previous topicNext topic