How many Administrators allowed per Room (Poll Closed)

Old announcement of past promotion rounds and updates to Wolfhome.

How many Administrators allowed per Room

Poll ended at Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:12 am

3 Admins only per room
28%
5 Admins are okay per room
No votes
As many admins as they want to! As long as they're active!
70%
I have another opinion (leave a comment)
2%

Total votes: 50
birdie
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends
Pronouns: sher
Preferred Name: birdie, whimsy, HUSH
Species: idiot

Teak wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:31 pm
I have a totally different opinion and voted for 3 limit per room because I think it’s important to open up and encourage others to join other rooms. Therefore there isn’t always just 1 active room. 1 room doesn’t need 3 on duty admins watching. I personally just log out if I see in the mysts 1 active room that’s full and I can’t get it, and it can be discouraging to see 4-5 admins in there. You guys also talk to each other on discord, so I feel like 3 admins is enough (also note how I said on duty!)
This is just my opinion.
I voted for 3 as well for similar reasons. Tbh I'm more for 2.
I agree y'all should be free to socialize and chill with friends; but when on duty I think it does need to be seen more objectively- your "job" should be a little more important. (Note: I'm not saying it should be such a priority that you neglect socialization. I mean this is a chat site, after all.) Like at work, everyone is typically spread out more to do their individual tasks, maybe some work closer together than others. It's not very cool if a large group of people at work are just socializing in one place.
Like... It's hard to moderate when you're all in 1 or 2 rooms. Not that anyone wants "patrols" so to say; but when there's like 20 rooms, I think a balance needs to be found. You can't always rely on users whispering you when things come up in other rooms.

Granted I don't go on chat much so I barely know the ratio of mods:users daily. So I honestly shouldn't even have an opinion lmao

of transparency, shut downs, and plot
I know of no reason why the transparency and shut downs should ever be forgot

XVII days

fae
Adept Protector
Adept Protector
Preferred Name: kenzie

I wanted to add a little clarification, I voted as many admins as they please because I would think it's a little unfair if a room is totally empty to also say well, 5 admins are online but only 2-3 are allowed to be in this near-empty chat room. That's where I agree with @Hocus that some discretion needs to be used when it comes to admins being in chat rooms.
Because, at the end of the day, if they want to be in a room full of users they can always use an alt account or go off-duty - on-duty admins should always be available and active and ready to move rooms as needed.

with purpose

terms of service commissions

viverrinae
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer
Preferred Name: samm
Species: genet

Pride

briar wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:15 am
I wanted to add a little clarification, I voted as many admins as they please because I would think it's a little unfair if a room is totally empty to also say well, 5 admins are online but only 2-3 are allowed to be in this near-empty chat room. That's where I agree with Hocus that some discretion needs to be used when it comes to admins being in chat rooms.
Because, at the end of the day, if they want to be in a room full of users they can always use an alt account or go off-duty - on-duty admins should always be available and active and ready to move rooms as needed.
This is why I think its a little silly to put focus on a rule for this in the first place. I think the admins here on WH are able to discern on their own if they need to branch out. If there is a rule and its broken by accident say the chat is dead and get alive while there are 4 admins in one room and they don't notice right away? Are they in trouble? Are the users mad? I think this is honestly a silly thing to discuss, I'm sorry if this upset anyone who feels strongly about this, but I really don't feel like there should be a rule. Admins should be able to discern something like this themselves and I think they can. I agree admins should branch out but if I had this rule for my chat for example, admins would be sitting alone in rooms for no reason other than users want to see them branching out.. encouraging use of other rooms? Chat and dynamic on chat flow organically and I don't think that should be messed with. Like @mithril said I think the important thing is seeing admins on chat more often. I know there was an issue with a troll recently and no one was reachable and it was kind of a reasonable hour. I told my admins, IDC what you're doing while on chat, I know you're busy, just try and be on chat as much as possible and they have and activity has gone up instantly. The most I would do, is add into training to be mindful of how many people and admins are on and try and spread out if it gets crowded. We haven't had enough users for that, yet, though WH does sometimes. But usually even then, it might be one or two admins on at a given time. So the rule is moot anyways.

This is just my opinion, though! I respect where we land on this decision and others' thoughts.
Sylvah
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds

I've been reading and keeping up with the posts on the thread, and I just want to say that regardless of the comments from others, all opinions and thoughts on this are valued and appreciated. One's opinion does not overthrow or depreciate another. Everyone deserves a place to voice how they personally feel about it, even if others do not agree. It's important that we see a variety of thoughts, to find a good solution that can put everyone at ease and find a good middle ground. I will reply to a few of these comments shortly to address some specific concerns. Thank you again, all of you
Co-Owner & Alpha of Olympus
Come check it out & join our community Discord today!

checkout my ➛ art thread, commissions, & colouring services
view my ➛ links & important information
trello ➛ to-do list commissions
Prior Wolfhome Alpha

17.7.18 | 8.11.19
Frezzi
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate
Pronouns: Thee, thy and thou
Preferred Name: Frezzi?
Species: Wolf

I have to admit that I really don't see a reason why a room would ever need more then 3 admins in it at a time, or even 3 at that. While I'm indifferent about whether or not an actual rule is put into place, I feel it would be good practice just in general for admins on duty to try and avoid rooms that already have a sufficient admin presence.

If the admin is not currently on active duty, then who cares I suppose...granted, logging on with an alternative account might not be a bad idea in that case; it looks a little better in the Mysts than half the names in a single room being administrators.

At the end of the day, I'd still rather be a lonely wolf than just another sheep in the herd...
dogwood
Omniscient
Omniscient

The thing is, and I'm going off what I actively see on chat, and hear from other users, admins would have to actually be on frequently for that to actually be a problem of it being overcrowded with so many in a room, which.. isn't even close to happening in the current state. I think the first small step is actually getting admins more active on chat before restricting what they can or can't do in a room, though I do agree in a general sense that if all the admins just sat in a single room together, day in and day out, I'd not like that either, but I think that honestly should be a general rule of thumb and not really something to strictly monitor, and not my main concern in regards to administrative chat activity.
Kennedy
Archdruid - Spirit Caller
Pronouns: They/He
Preferred Name: Lynn
Species: Red Fox/Domestic Cat

Pride

Agreed, admin activity really needs to pick up on chat. There was a troll on Wolfhome like Viv said and no admin was on or reachable. We are told not to contact admins on Discord, so unfortunately I had to refrain from that even though I believed I could have reached someone sooner. I reached out to someone on the forums and got a response after the situation was taken care of.

I had to personally reach out to a Guardian via Discord in order to get this situation taken care of (and it wasn’t even the Wolfhome related guardian).

I also know it is encouraged to take logs and submit them via PM on chat, however this user had an extremely racist username and immediately ban-hopped with an “inappropriate for minors” username.

I understand admins have lives but sometimes someone should be reachable.

The activity in general has significantly decreased from the admins on chat. I think I could agree with admins being more active before we start putting restrictions on them on what rooms they can be in and when.
#BlackLivesMatter
Hocus
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!

Pride

i don’t want to stray off topic but regarding the not being able to contact admins on discord issue…is there a way we could have an official admins discord? like, a discord specifically just for users who notice an urgent problem to hop on and be like “hey, there is (an issue) on chat, is anyone available to hop on and take care of this?”

admins do have lives and i do not believe they should be contacted personally on their personal discords in reference to wolfhome related issues. but if there was a discord with all the admins on it that we could have access to that might work!

the downside is that this is just another thing to moderate and it would be hard to make sure that people aren’t using it for chatting. ideally this discord would only be for urgent complaints so the userbase would really have to be diligent when using it
this is me trying
discord: hannessy
Fik
Omniscient
Omniscient
Preferred Name: Kay

Pride

kennedy wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:05 am
Agreed, admin activity really needs to pick up on chat. There was a troll on Wolfhome like Viv said and no admin was on or reachable. We are told not to contact admins on Discord, so unfortunately I had to refrain from that even though I believed I could have reached someone sooner. I reached out to someone on the forums and got a response after the situation was taken care of.

I had to personally reach out to a Guardian via Discord in order to get this situation taken care of (and it wasn’t even the Wolfhome related guardian).
I actually had a user reach out to me personally. I was in bed, but because it was a troll, I took care of it as soon as I could. I'm reachable most days via discord, but most afternoons I'm on chat anyway.
Hocus wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:37 am
i don’t want to stray off topic but regarding the not being able to contact admins on discord issue…is there a way we could have an official admins discord? like, a discord specifically just for users who notice an urgent problem to hop on and be like “hey, there is (an issue) on chat, is anyone available to hop on and take care of this?”

admins do have lives and i do not believe they should be contacted personally on their personal discords in reference to wolfhome related issues. but if there was a discord with all the admins on it that we could have access to that might work!

the downside is that this is just another thing to moderate and it would be hard to make sure that people aren’t using it for chatting. ideally this discord would only be for urgent complaints so the userbase would really have to be diligent when using it
We really only want to handle things through discord if it's heavy trolling (like the recent event), solicitation, or some safety threats. Most of the time, if something is passed on via discord and no one is online, we'll make a post or use our Admin discord to have it handled!

We have an ongoing discussion about a public Wolfhome discord server, so keep eyes out for that. It has also been brought up about discussing our chat activity!

We do also encourage people, if it's not serious, but should be handled, you can send a chat message to an administrator, or send in a problem ticket! If it's a BIG problem like listed above, most of us are available on discord and we can try to handle it as soon as possible.

Thank you guys for bringing these concerns up! We do appreciate it. We have another scheduled meeting coming up, so I can put admin chat activity on the docket.
☆ A final farewell ☆
Sylvah
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds

Sorry for the later reply, but a lot of what I was going to mention Fik clarified some above. Just to go into depth a little more, for contacting administrators off site, anyone is more than welcome to have a look at the thread we have available to see what is acceptable and what isn't for off-site contact: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=201247. We are understanding of the circumstances since our numbers are lower than they used to be. So it's acknowledged that off-site contact may have an increase. It's encouraged that the high-risk situations (like the troll recently mentioned above) are brought up to us, whether it's off-site (discord/etc), on the forum, or through the PT system. Minor cases should be through chat message, forum or PT system if there's no one online at the time, though. The activity will be discussed, and hopefully we can increase our presence on chat/forum overall. It's sometimes inevitable where there are no admins online when something serious happens, but that is why we have the off-site contact guideline available for use.

And a discord group (like hocus mentioned above) may very well be a good solution to this, but it is still currently being discussed amongst the team.
Thank you guys for bringing up a lot of really great input, it does help. I appreciate every single one of you.

Prior Wolfhome Alpha

17.7.18 | 8.11.19
Fandango
The stuff of Legends
The stuff of Legends
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Pride

I don’t use chat much any more, and have only just started using the forums again, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt if you’d like.

I personally think that in order to impose a rule such as this one, there needs to be sufficient evidence that it would be solving a problem. I’m not feeling very confident that an admin limit is an effective solution for the 3 main issues I’ve gleaned from the topic, but I can’t imagine it solving others either.

1.) Admins logging on and going idle - theoretically admins can still do this with the room limit and I don’t see how 2-3 admins doing it in a room is too different from 4-5 admins. There’s room space, but there’s no reason why active users can’t use the abundance of other empty rooms.

2.) Lack of room coverage - again, I don’t think I’ve seen enough users online recently for it to be solved by splitting up admins. We have the howl function and perhaps we can simply ask admins to patrol every so often if there’s another active room.

3.) Feeling intimidated by packs of admins - I don’t wish to dispute this, because I think it’s perfectly valid to feel intimidated because our feelings are truth. However, I think we should be careful about imposing restrictions on a group of people because you personally are uncomfortable. Our feelings are our responsibility and, in reference to the rule, I don’t think a limit is what will solve this. We should be going to the root of that problem. It might be a personal issue, or it might be that you have some genuine concerns that you can bring up specifically with admins about what is making you feel intimidated (I.e actions). Others simply existing and sitting in a group is a valid reason to feel anything, but not to impose restrictions. We should talk about that I think.

I hope that makes any kind of sense.

you only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves - mary oliver

previously Mitchiko

viverrinae
Preferred Name: samm
Species: genet

Pride

Fandango wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:42 am
I don’t use chat much any more, and have only just started using the forums again, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt if you’d like.

I personally think that in order to impose a rule such as this one, there needs to be sufficient evidence that it would be solving a problem. I’m not feeling very confident that an admin limit is an effective solution for the 3 main issues I’ve gleaned from the topic, but I can’t imagine it solving others either.

1.) Admins logging on and going idle - theoretically admins can still do this with the room limit and I don’t see how 2-3 admins doing it in a room is too different from 4-5 admins. There’s room space, but there’s no reason why active users can’t use the abundance of other empty rooms.

2.) Lack of room coverage - again, I don’t think I’ve seen enough users online recently for it to be solved by splitting up admins. We have the howl function and perhaps we can simply ask admins to patrol every so often if there’s another active room.

3.) Feeling intimidated by packs of admins - I don’t wish to dispute this, because I think it’s perfectly valid to feel intimidated because our feelings are truth. However, I think we should be careful about imposing restrictions on a group of people because you personally are uncomfortable. Our feelings are our responsibility and, in reference to the rule, I don’t think a limit is what will solve this. We should be going to the root of that problem. It might be a personal issue, or it might be that you have some genuine concerns that you can bring up specifically with admins about what is making you feel intimidated (I.e actions). Others simply existing and sitting in a group is a valid reason to feel anything, but not to impose restrictions. We should talk about that I think.

I hope that makes any kind of sense.
THIS thank you you've put it so well I could never but THIS
Kennedy
Pronouns: They/He
Preferred Name: Lynn
Species: Red Fox/Domestic Cat

Pride

Hocus wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:37 am

The last bit:

Maybe an area for reports where users cannot see the message history of the channel and slow mode is enabled so it can’t be abused.
#BlackLivesMatter
Miu
Ethereal Ancestor
Ethereal Ancestor
Pronouns: She/Her
Preferred Name: Koinu
Species: "Me-uri"/Fox

Pride

To me it sounds like people expect the admins to be "on the hunt" when they aren't off duty. It is YOUR duty as a member of a chat to report any wrong doing you see. That is what the administration are there for, not to manhunt wrongdoers. Even asking whether there should be a cap is beyond laughable. I feel people forget that being a wolfhome admin is a VOLUNTEER JOB. The only perk that get is free poses/rooms, and a MOUNTAIN of paperwork. Let people be where they'd like to be and if you see an issue, then use the report feature provided for you. Simple as that.
☆ Previously known as Siren ☆
Characters
Sylvah
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds

We’d like to thank everyone for their input, and appreciate all of the constructive criticism and we will continue to improve on a variety of things mentioned. At this time, no changes will be made in regards to an admin room limit. It will remain the same as it has been.

Thank you everyone very much!

Prior Wolfhome Alpha

17.7.18 | 8.11.19
Locked Previous topicNext topic