Lock

This section is for posting questions regarding Wolfhome, workings or details, or simply needing to contact one of the administration. Bans or warnings given, whether temporary or permanent, will NOT be discussed, and topics containing such material will be immediately deleted.
Zuko
Archdruid - Spirit Caller
Pronouns: They/Them
Preferred Name: Lynn
Species: Red Fox

Pride

Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:52 am

So while I did apply for the Wolfhome administration team and got rejected, my friend informed me that the administration is no longer giving out rejection reasons. I did ask, but haven't gotten a response yet. This is a decision they say was made "recently", but its the first I've heard of it. Now I am not sure why this change was made and I do not know why the userbase wasn't informed.

I feel as if this takes away from transparency. How is a user able to improve themselves and understand why they were rejected for the next time they apply, if no rejection reason is given? For the people who say that jobs don't always tell you the rejection reason, you can ask and a lot of the times I have gotten a response and a reason.

If it is because of backlash in the past, yes, that sucks but it comes with being an administrator.

If the team won't budge on this new "policy", okay. But I'd like an explanation to this change because it is unfair to the users.

Thanks.
1 x

#BlackLivesMatter
Justice for Breonna Taylor
Alpen
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds
Pronouns: she/her

Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:00 am

I could see why they don’t, because of the backlash of trying to prove their claims OR they give something vague like, “We don’t feel like you’re a good team fit currently.” Which would bring up even more questions as to why.

To me it’s like...this is a furry chat with ~50 users, if you’re not accepted onto the team, tough luck. It’s not a paying job. You can help the site elsewhere if you’re interested in REALLY helping, not just having a title.
7 x

tos
Zuko

Pride

Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:04 am

Alpen wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:00 am
I could see why they don’t, because of the backlash of trying to prove their claims OR they give something vague like, “We don’t feel like you’re a good team fit currently.” Which would bring up even more questions as to why.

To me it’s like...this is a furry chat with ~50 users, if you’re not accepted onto the team, tough luck. It’s not a paying job. You can help the site elsewhere if you’re interested in REALLY helping, not just having a title.
I get that, but it's still a common courtesy to be giving out rejection reasons and it is helpful. I've helped out Wolfhome in other ways most definitely!
0 x

#BlackLivesMatter
MonGHOUL

Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:07 am

idk the situation since i’ve never in my life applied, but i don’t mind that being a new ruling considering 1. it’s not a paid for hire position and 2. job applications in the real world operate pretty much the same. you’re just told thank you for the application but we’ve moved forward without selecting you. if you’re told at all.

i actually find it interesting feedback was given in the first place, unless it’s something crucial such as “you have a ban record to make you inconsiderable to joining the team” or something along those lines.

i do see how it’s frustrating though, considering they went from doing it one way to another without an update on the change. but i can also see how announcing that would ruffle more feathers than just switching it.

sometimes, a member of the community is just not a good fit for working on staff for a variety of reason, whether they’re qualified or not, and having to give a reason out to each individual is adding another layer to the process that might just end up being a waste of breath and time. not saying this is towards you in the slightest, but might be a summation from all of the previous applicants in all the other hiring rounds.
4 x

well i’m not quite ready
to turn to bone

Alpen
Leader of the Nerds
Leader of the Nerds
Pronouns: she/her

Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:09 am

While it can be helpful, if they say (for example, I’m just talking in general) that they’ve seen you breaking x rules and you have gotten angry in the past, that would make a lot of people defensive and they’d try to explain how they’ve changed, etc. OR they could try to put on a “fake face” to get on their good side and prove that they’ve ~really changed~.

Idk, some people do change but in regards to choosing admins, I think they’re doing fine. They have their reasons for not choosing certain people and you probably don’t want to hear them.
4 x

tos
pyr
Alpha
Alpha

Pride

Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:03 am

It's because the reason could be anything from activity to a history of rule violations to us simply being full and not having any room left. Too frequently a rejection message is taken as a personal attack and it does more harm than good to open up what some perceive to be an invitation to argue over something that was never meant to hurt feelings in the first place. I personally dont think we should go back. Our priorities are show you can learn and work well with others in tough situations, have good communication skills, be an active member of this community, and be kind and helpful even when it isnt convenient for you. If you feel you are already hitting those marks then you're good! Just apply again in the future if you're still interested! This, to me, is not a "transparency issue" because it has nothing to do with how we enforce site policies or how we follow the Code of Conduct.
11 x
look up
Zuko

Pride

Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:25 am

I strongly disagree with this statement. Transparency was brought up because it’s not letting users understand where they went wrong. How does anyone improve? I’m not upset that I was rejected, that’s not what this topic is about.

Also, in regards to “you don’t get rejection responses in jobs IRL” I addressed that in the original post.

Anyway this can be locked.
0 x

#BlackLivesMatter
Locked Previous topicNext topic