Advertising

This section is for posting questions regarding Wolfhome, workings or details, or simply needing to contact one of the administration. Bans or warnings given, whether temporary or permanent, will NOT be discussed, and topics containing such material will be immediately deleted.
isaradia
IT'S OVER 9000!
IT'S OVER 9000!

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:27 pm

i wanna see 200+ people on chat again >:(
4 x
vanadey
Omniscient
Omniscient
Pronouns: they/them

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:31 pm

isaradia wrote:
Big Mood
0 x
Fik
Relations Team
Relations Team
Preferred Name: KT
Species: Stress Elemental

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:35 pm

Totem wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:25 pm
That for sure will be a tough competition... do you know if it will be like lioden or more like a 2D graphical chat site similar to Wolfhome? The interactive aspect is a different than Wolfhome but for sure it can be more appeasing to people.. especially younger generations
From what I've seen, it's going to be more like a SIM like Lioden is, with a forum you can chat on. More so breeding, and exploring, and things like that.
fable wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:22 pm
You're fine - I just didn't want it to seem that way LOL

I am wondering what you mean by letting the administration advertise? Unless you mean the FA ads like suggested, but I'm not sure if you meant otherwise. I'm also unsure how active the instagram is and what we're doing there? Relations handles that though, and advertisement is specifically what they're for, so I think they should play their part in whatever they can. Also, an idea for FA besides ads: do what you did with instragram, but post it there, updated it frequently with uploads, and you'll gain a following there like any other user, and constantly link back to the chat site, since if people miss the ads, they're definitely browsing submissions!
You're making sense! No fear. I agree bugs really should be worked on, but I don't think UD is going to be really willing to get it into gear any time soon (and let's be real, he sees this place as a business, if he's not making profit, it's not worth it, and I'm not slamming him for that, that's just.. business and how it be) to fix them, unless he has a reason too.
I just meant more that UD allows the administration to make those kinds of decisions... I know his focus is all of Chatlands, so that makes things a little more difficult as far as mechanics updates, because they have to work on all sites, not just Wolfhome.

As far as having an FA account for Wolfhome, it's not a bad idea. Then eventually bring in advertisements for it. Maybe start small with an account, possibly offer comms like for the fundraiser. I'm only a little concerned (as many people are) of the crowd that might be pulled in. Ideally, they'd be adults, read the rules, and abide by them, but it's always a concern. Though, I think that DA has more miscreants than FA does anymore (stares at most popular).

It also comes down to activity. I know that there has been some issues with RT and EC in the past with activity. It's hard to keep motivated when there's no feedback...
isaradia wrote:
Same
0 x
vanadey
Omniscient
Omniscient
Pronouns: they/them

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:54 pm

fable wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:22 pm
You're fine - I just didn't want it to seem that way LOL

I am wondering what you mean by letting the administration advertise? Unless you mean the FA ads like suggested, but I'm not sure if you meant otherwise. I'm also unsure how active the instagram is and what we're doing there? Relations handles that though, and advertisement is specifically what they're for, so I think they should play their part in whatever they can. Also, an idea for FA besides ads: do what you did with instragram, but post it there, updated it frequently with uploads, and you'll gain a following there like any other user, and constantly link back to the chat site, since if people miss the ads, they're definitely browsing submissions!
You're making sense! No fear. I agree bugs really should be worked on, but I don't think UD is going to be really willing to get it into gear any time soon (and let's be real, he sees this place as a business, if he's not making profit, it's not worth it, and I'm not slamming him for that, that's just.. business and how it be) to fix them, unless he has a reason too.
I just meant more that UD allows the administration to make those kinds of decisions... I know his focus is all of Chatlands, so that makes things a little more difficult as far as mechanics updates, because they have to work on all sites, not just Wolfhome.

As far as having an FA account for Wolfhome, it's not a bad idea. Then eventually bring in advertisements for it. Maybe start small with an account, possibly offer comms like for the fundraiser. I'm only a little concerned (as many people are) of the crowd that might be pulled in. Ideally, they'd be adults, read the rules, and abide by them, but it's always a concern. Though, I think that DA has more miscreants than FA does anymore (stares at most popular).

It also comes down to activity. I know that there has been some issues with RT and EC in the past with activity. It's hard to keep motivated when there's no feedback...
[/quote]

Ahh okay, and that makes sense obviously, Chatlands as a whole should be fixed, however I really think the top main sites should be first priority, since obviously they bring in revenue (even if it's just cutting even). However, with the mechanics, I don't fully know what bugs WH is experiencing, besides the email restrictions, as they're not really posted or talked about publicly (not counting the whf bug topic, which is specifically for the forum), which is why I stated a list needed to be made so that everyone is on the same page, and can see what needs to be taken care of first, and what can be done later on.

That's a valid concern, but I don't feel it's right to exclude people on something they haven't even had the chance to do or we don't know, and it'd bring in revenue for the site possibly which is the strongest pro there is. We're not supposed to be a site that excludes people, as long as they follow the rules, so I don't think it's the best approach to completely base whether or not we advertise on FA with that, since again, no rules have been broken, so assuming the userbase of FA is automatically guilty and gonna cause trouble, isn't fair on them. Will there possibly be cases that happen if it works out? Yes, but that's exactly what an administration team is for. Also to be honest here, most of this site is now adults, with a few stragglers of 15+ year olds, who all have FA or at least heard of it.

Recently there was a feedback form, and it was abused, and I'm one of the people who DIDN'T actually abuse it, and was outraged when it was taken down (I'm p sure Vis made the official post to let everyone know it was closed). With EC, events are a huge issue that I'm aware of, and getting feedback on them is too. However, with activity, if it's about the team members, weed them out and open apps, don't keep people who aren't willing to work, in the team. Sometimes a fresh start of faces is better to get motivation going, gets ideas circulating. If the motivation is lacking, then there needs to be suggestions on how to increase motivation for the volunteers, and the community, and I don't have any right now, but I will think on it and try to get back and post something.
1 x
Colo
Relations Team Leader
Relations Team Leader
Preferred Name: Colo or L

Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:58 pm

WH offers a different service to lioden though. WH offers a PG-13 2D space for people to "be" their characters. Those sim sites always feel hollow to me. Discord has become wildly popular in the furry community, probably because it's a place to chat in real time, that is something Chatlands offers. Even if WH only gets 20 or 30 new users and manages to keep 10 of them, it'd be something. WH has never really advertised on FA, it exists in its own bubble.

There may be teething problems with a whole new set of users joining and maybe having issues with the PG-13 rules, but the PG-13 nature of WH might simply mean private rooms get used a lot more. Do we want to have 40 active users on the site, or 100 with the potential for a few rule breakers here and there?

WH is outdated looking, but FA isn't exactly the most up to date looking site in the world. We've been looking at this interface and dealing with its issues since 1999 but new users haven't. I really hope that fear of the unknown isn't what is holding WH back from advertising on FA. It'd be sad if the idea of having to moderate new users is what is the biggest reluctance.

Also if users wish to donate money for WH as a cause, I think that should honestly be embraced. I understand it feeling iffy but there's a few options:
  • Separate FA advert fundraiser (auctions, fixed price stuff etc.)
  • Allow users to straight out donate dollary doos. We're in the Patreon day and age!
  • Users who donate get some delta rebate? Not the full amount but a small amount as a thank you.
While we may not be able to incentivse updates and bug fixes to be implemented, raising the userbase up will feel better for the community as a whole. I hate there only being two rooms of active users on a good day.
5 x
Clovette
Omniscient
Omniscient
Preferred Name: Heather
Species: Human

Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:49 pm

I would like to see WH updated/fixed up a bit before advertising too. However, users have been pretty stagnant for years and there's not much incentive for UD to focus on this (profit-wise) more than Revolvy. WH needs the morale boost. More users can only be a good thing.

If there's one thing I think absolutely should be changed before advertising, it's the ability to register with gmail. I can't even remember why it was removed. Chatlands's e-mails were going to their junk folders/Chatlands was being marked spam or something? There are things you can do to help prevent this.
2 x
🐈
Viverrinae
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer
Pronouns: she/her
Preferred Name: anything really
Species: genet

Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:55 pm

Clovette wrote:
I would like to see WH updated/fixed up a bit before advertising too. However, users have been pretty stagnant for years and there's not much incentive for UD to focus on this (profit-wise) more than Revolvy. WH needs the morale boost. More users can only be a good thing.

If there's one thing I think absolutely should be changed before advertising, it's the ability to register with gmail. I can't even remember why it was removed. Chatlands's e-mails were going to their junk folders/Chatlands was being marked spam or something? There are things you can do to help prevent this.
wait what? lrg image

edit: definitely recently registered with a gmail acc.
0 x
Clovette
Omniscient
Omniscient

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:06 pm

viverrinae wrote:
Clovette wrote:

wait what? lrg image

Then I got it backwards. Outlook and its cluster of domains are blocked, and registration is still glitchy. My friend and I both tried registering with gmail a couple weeks ago and it wasn't working. Told us to use a gmail address lol. I already told UD.
0 x
🐈
Viverrinae

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:08 pm

Clovette wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:06 pm
viverrinae wrote:
Clovette wrote:

wait what? lrg image

Then I got it backwards. Outlook and its cluster of domains are blocked, and registration is still glitchy. My friend and I both tried registering with gmail a couple weeks ago and it wasn't working. Told us to use a gmail address lol. I already told UD.
aaahh got it
0 x
LucanWolf
Adept Protector
Adept Protector

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:47 am

Call it a pipe dream, but WH could get the much-needed revamp it deserves if only UD made the site's entire code open source.
1 x
"If your dog is fat, you're not getting enough exercise."
~ Author Unknown
Viverrinae

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:31 pm

I was curious so I looked at WHFs members sorted by registration date. We honestly get a lot of new registrations, so retention seems a bigger or at least more equal problem. Why aren't we keeping people?
0 x
Totem
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Preferred Name: Haley
Species: Coyote

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:33 pm

viverrinae wrote:
I was curious so I looked at WHFs members sorted by registration date. We honestly get a lot of new registrations, so retention seems a bigger or at least more equal problem. Why aren't we keeping people?
Negativity possibly, or they might be signing up from other chatsites just to get access for the free poses or art etc...
1 x
06/28/17
Previously Epilepsy
Clovette
Omniscient
Omniscient

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:06 am

viverrinae wrote:
Most likely the negativity. I did a little looking around yesterday and it was brutal. That's not to say that everyone here is negative all the time, or that there isn't mature discussion, but there are some key site-wide drama topics that could turn someone off if they are registering and browsing for the first time. That and the forum theme is dark and not very lighthearted, and personally when I go to a forum, if I'm turned off by the theme I won't bother with the rest. Our expressive banners do help this a lot and I appreciate them.

Another thing that might be stunting retention is that new users are overwhelmed and not sure where to start. Or perhaps, users sign up, and then forget.

Perhaps when a new member joins, as part of the activation process, the forum admin who accepts the account can send them a PM with a little info on how to browse and whatnot. I know this was discussed before, but it's a good idea. There are mods for this, too, but I don't know if they've been updated for this forum version.

We could also send out a biweekly or monthly newsletter to all registered e-mail addresses as a reminder that we exist.

Lastly, I still see cliques. If the community is truly involved and passionate about bringing up our member base, then they should take the extra 10 seconds to comment on topics from those who are new or outside their friend circle. Especially art topics, since that is the primary focus typically.
5 x
🐈
Viverrinae

Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:00 pm

So many good points @Clovette
2 x
Apostle
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!

Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:38 pm

fable wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:31 pm
isaradia wrote:
Big Mood
1 x
Hard hiatus while looking for work, please p.m if needed!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic