Relations Team Activity(?)

This section is for posting questions regarding Wolfhome, workings or details, or simply needing to contact one of the administration. Bans or warnings given, whether temporary or permanent, will NOT be discussed, and topics containing such material will be immediately deleted.
Mongrel
Archdruid - Spirit Caller

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:10 am

in the interest of conversations regarding transparency and change within the community, i would like to take the chance to inquire more about the relations team.

it is a common topic that chatlands and subsequently wolfhome are losing active members. through various efforts the community has been trying to improve these statistics. i have seen the event committee incredibly active, now more than ever i believe. i have seen a lot of creative ideas flowing over there. i have concerns for the state of the relations team and their relationship with the community.

it is hard to find any transparency or updates on what the relations team is working on or accomplishing. the wolfhome bulletin board is dominated by the event committee. in fact, it appears to be exclusive to the event committee as i look at it right now. there are seven total members on the relations team, only two of which are regular users. the mascot account has not been accessed since may. i am aware relations team applications are open, but i have heard there is a notoriously low success rate for members who apply and their applications are rejected. i myself would apply, but due to these concerns i waver. (i also waver because i do not want to create a chat account and would like to remain on the forums only, but have not asked if that is acceptable.)

i have checked various social media accounts run by the relations team. the furaffinity page has been inactive for a year, instagram inactive for two months, twitter over a year, facebook a year. i have not heard any updates on implementing new advertisements, updates to SEO, or any other sort of campaign being used to promote wolfhome. i don't see any topic introducing the community to the relations team, what they do, who they are, etc.

i do not question the necessity of having the team as i think this team is vital for the continuation of the site and for the chatlands 2.0 update to be worth implementing. but i feel like there is an incredible amount of radio silence. i do not blame the team itself for anything of this, but i assume the projects have been pushed to the wayside and focus has drifted.

i also feel like having the relations team take some free (or even paid) courses on learning how to manage PR, marketing, etc. would be incredibly beneficial. learning how to promote a website or brand, on how to make graphics for displaying content on social media, for creating advertisements, for search engine optimization, etc. this could be an incredibly impactful volunteer position that could lead to real-world application if we allow it to. i would be incredibly interested in organizing such a thing. if this is something that's already happening - i wouldn't know. i don't see anything going on over here!

i post this publicly and do not send this to @Bismuth alone because i would like to hear feedback from the team itself, and how the community feels about the topic.
10 x
Brew
Omniscient
Omniscient
Pronouns: She/Her

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:52 am

Posting to follow this as well. It has been a recent concern of mine. I recall back from being on RT myself that the struggle was often with user activity and then financial necessities to boost social media pages. That market has changed drastically now. I'd be interested in applying as well, but I was unsure if the team was going to remain a department considering the low activity levels.

I think RT has great potential with marketing and outreach, but not always given the ability to extend as much as possible.
2 x
gringo
Apprentice
Apprentice
Pronouns: she
Preferred Name: morgan
Species: kind bean

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:04 pm

I am not apart of the Relations Team, but I think that incorporating some /free/ courses would be really beneficial. As someone who is taking marketing classes currently, I would also be willing to share my notes that I have taken in my classes if that is something they are struggling with.
5 x
she slept with wolves without fear
for the wolves knew a lion was among them

th
Mongrel

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:16 pm

gringo wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:04 pm
I am not apart of the Relations Team, but I think that incorporating some /free/ courses would be really beneficial. As someone who is taking marketing classes currently, I would also be willing to share my notes that I have taken in my classes if that is something they are struggling with.
i would be willing to help the teams gain access to valuable content like this. for instance, i have a library card which allows me to have free access to linkedin learning. through linkedin learning, i get access to all kinds of business, creative, and technology courses which could benefit *literally* everyone here - but would have a direct improvement for administration, event committee, relations team, and the proposed art service team.
udemy also does frequent sales on courses and are extremely marked down and are sometimes free, or as little as $10-$30. i have seen skillshare recommended here previously. there is also of course a plethora of free information on youtube. some content could be screen shared within a discord server to promote learning and conversation between the team and how to apply it to the volunteer positions. it would make the volunteer positions themselves extremely valuable to have that coordination and networking and applying it to real-world projects.
3 x
not here
Omniscient
Omniscient
Preferred Name: Cass/Cassie
Species: Fox

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:53 pm

Following. If I remember correctly, since this team was created it has been a struggle to get into any sort of groove for work to get done. There’s been 0 activity within the RT for a very long time, and there seems to be no activity standard or motivation for the members on it.
3 x
Not here anymore tbh
Cider
Event Committee
Event Committee

Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:41 pm

I have access to LinkedIn Learning through my work. If anyone used Lynda . com in the past, LIL absorbed them. It’s a great resource and I regularly use it for learning new skills in my professional life. Which I am a social media coordinator, so that directly relates to what the RT does haha.
2 x

Previously MrFunGuy on chat, now Cider on both.

Rhea
Event Committee
Event Committee

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:20 pm

Hey all!

So I've been contemplating on how to respond to this to give you a bit of a insight for why we've been so quiet on our end. We've been actively speaking on a few ways to bring back life to RT in regards to advertisements on social media. Though, things are indeed moving slowly. I'll link this topic to the RT team directly to see if any other team-members would like to post their thoughts. I apologize that we have been severely lacking on our end. I think it'd be beneficial to keep everyone in the loop moving forward from here and what we plan to accomplish and do.
3 x
CrowFly
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Pronouns: Female
Species: Cougar

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:24 pm

Yeah it is certainly not a secret that the Relations Team is currently lacking. I understand that there is some things being discussed but I'm personally not exactly sure. Ideally, Yes the Relations Team will remain and my understanding from prior conversations that the hope is to work out ways for the RT to be more active overall and have more solid footing. Right now things are uncertain. But many things have changed just over the last few months so hope certainly isn't lost.
2 x
"Sweet dreams."
Brew
Omniscient
Omniscient

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:35 pm

It may be worth considering closing off the team to be reworked. I love the idea of free marketing courses and all of that. Thank you for offering!
4 x
Laika-
Relations Team
Relations Team
Pronouns: She/they
Preferred Name: Laika / Savannah
Species: Fossa / Lioness

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:48 pm

The RT is minuscule right now and we have discussed plans in the RT discord server to become more conjoined with the EC. Not merging the two per se, but collaborating with them a lot more than we have prior. Hoping that goes smoothly.
Underdog has also offered to help with promos on different platforms, and we’ve been discussing how to best go about that. Hopefully there will be some more evident changes underway soon. <3
4 x

BLACK LIVES MATTER.

JUSTICE FOR ELIJAH MCCLAIN

Taken by Skyvory / Bloodiath / Angie. <3
birdie
Member of the Month Winner
Member of the Month Winner
Pronouns: sher
Preferred Name: birdie, whimsy, HUSH
Species: idiot

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:56 am

forgive me for my ignorance as I don't fully know what RTs guidelines entail outside of the brief description on the application thread; but I have always been... Confused, I suppose? As to why it's been so dead for months/years.

The gist I have is that RT has control or indirect control (i.e. function through an admin who has access) to the social media accounts, and are responsible for giving WH a social media presence.
Which, to me, means... You just need to post. Again, maybe it's me being ignorant; but what has been stopping RT from simply updating Twitter/IG/fa/etc. with small blurbs every now again? Not every post needs to be about an event, they could just simply be something positive about WH. Something, even if it's a tiny 3 word post, is better than nothing, in my opinion. Like bam, doesn't even take a minute.

BUT like I said. Maybe there's more to it. This has just been bugging me for a while. It seems simple from an outside PoV, so it's a little disheartening to see all our media pages dead in a world where you NEED to be active to be even sometimes maybe noticed.
Not to discredit any work y'all do behind the scenes or if it's harder than I make it sound.

And u may think oh birdie, just join the RT urself, and I shall say, well, I am v tired of putting my energy into this site, and would not be surprised if that's part of the issue here as well for rt,
7 x

Mongrel

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:53 am

@birdie i agree, and feel that it has always felt vague and shrouded in mystery. since it’s creation i don’t think the community has ever been clear on what is expected of the team.
we don’t know anything about the team because there is no “meet the relations team” thread. there is not a thread explaining their objective, guidelines, and resources - we do have the wolfhub thread but it needs maintenance. the newsletter too is quite messy - there is an archive of previously written issues (wolfhome.com/newsletter) and there is also a wordpress and blogspot.
i also think the wolfhome home page eliminates the need for the wolfhome newsletter and is contributing to it being obsolete. we are using the home page as the newsletter! there is no need to view the newsletter if you get all the same information from the homepage and forum.
i know we are supposed to see event committee as doing in-house relations by engaging with the current active community and relations as the out of house relations by bringing in more people. i do think it’s crucial the two work together more closely. i would like to see more collaboration between the two in order to help showcase efforts being made here to potential new users.
from what i can tell, rt should be in charge of social media management, maintaining and releasing the newsletter with content provided by the event committee and relations team alike, advertisement management and SEO, and collaborating with the administration on keeping the login page up to date. i also think they should be more involved in branding - wolfhome has no clear branding as far as a specific color palette, font, logos, etc. the mascots feel messy and all over the place too! a lot of promoting the website lies in maintaining and clarifying the site’s current branding and image.
i think every single team on this site would benefit from writing out and posting mission statements and visions for them. this would help conserve efforts and focus on things that matter!
i understand the common theme was about how we need money in order to fund relations team activities - but there is a TON of stuff to be done for free! there are a lot of people that are happy to help out and see rt grow and improve. i am happy to hear the feedback so far and i’m excited for things in the works on what can be done to move forward. it’s a daunting department since it’s still considerably new.
6 x
Mongrel

Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:38 am

i will say i am a little bit disappointed and frustrated as i actually applied for the relations team on october 27th, which is the day i created this topic, had my application acknowledged on november 1st, and have yet to hear anything back. it's been roughly five weeks since and i've rescinded my application due to the long turn around time. considering in that time i believe i've seen about 2-5 new administrator promotions.
i am not going to sit here and be sour about not having my application reviewed in a timely manner because i have simply moved on to other things. i am just trying to understand if any progress has been made behind the scenes on this team at all, and why we even have it if it's going to be this inactive? i really don't know how other people feel because i've been getting the feeling the site has been dying more now than ever and the forums are considerably inactive. but when we have thirteen admins - not including the site owner - and such a low user turnout, i question it. a traditional rule of thumb that i've seen is that for every ten daily active users there is one administrator. obviously i doubt this is any rulebook or guideline set forth anywhere, but i have seen it successfully implemented across active chatsites. that would mean we should probably have 130 active users for the amount of administrator presence we currently have. and this doesn't even count those who are still set as apprentices. i say again, the event committee is incredibly present on the forums and i genuinely am proud of the effort they put forth in order to coordinate events. everyone has been active and responsive. i appreciate the two relations team users for speaking on this topic about the issues and ways they'd like to address it. i've yet to hear from any administration that duly works on the relations team, including the administrator who runs it. are there going to be any steps to come from this? has any progress at all been made? why is the turn around time so long? the site is dying, and without viewing statistics i'd go to say that it is dying rapidly.
11 x
briar
Adept Protector
Adept Protector

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:04 am

just want to +1 the above because the site has an absolutely dwindling user base and I don’t see any effort to increase traffic, but I do see a massive effort to increase admins for the at most 20-30 active users weekly?
5 x
grand risings

terms of service
twitter
GOOSE
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!
IT'S OVER 2 9000'S!
Pronouns: they/he
Preferred Name: august

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:20 am

briar wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:04 am
just want to +1 the above because the site has an absolutely dwindling user base and I don’t see any effort to increase traffic, but I do see a massive effort to increase admins for the at most 20-30 active users weekly?
yeah uh. i was also curious about this. also no offense but theres been like no diversity in the recent hires. if you just ask the same type of person from the same background what their viewpoints are, its gonna be the same answer with no contention. how are we to improve if there's no variety
3 x

i bet it's nice to breathe
die every year like leaves

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic