Regarding Rule #22/Character (C) and Permissions

Old announcement of past promotion rounds and updates to Wolfhome.
Clovette
Omniscient
Omniscient
Preferred Name: Jansi
Species: Human

Hello Wolfhome Community,

After discussing the poll that recently ended regarding whether or not we were going to keep our character transaction copyrights and permissions rule in place, we have come to a decision. We are going to honor the majority vote and are no longer going to be enforcing it. However, since the votes were so close and some members of the community expressed concern about getting rid of the rule, we are conducting a trial run for an undecided amount of time to see how well the markets fare without it. If everything runs smoothly with this rule being gone, we will not reinstate it.

Because it has been removed from the rules, I have quoted it below for your reference:
Spoiler! :
Character Market
***Please read before using this section!***

What is this section for?

This section is to sell character references or artwork of character concepts, either made by yourself or by someone else, given that they have granted permission, with any included artwork that has been granted permission. It is important that all relevant Terms of Service are followed in character transactions.

Acceptable:
  • • Selling a character reference made by you with no artwork included
    • So long as copyrights and permissions are stated clearly
    • Selling a character reference made by you with artwork made by you included
      Artwork does not have to be listed so long as you state all artwork was made by you and that you have permission to include it
    • Selling a character reference made by you with artwork made by others
      Artwork does not have to be listed so long as you state the names of all artists who created the artwork and that you have permission to include it
    • Selling a character reference made by you, but was designed by someone else
    • Selling a character reference made by someone else, and designed by someone else
    • So long as copyrights and permissions are stated clearly for all parties
    • Selling a character reference made by someone else with artwork made by others
      Artwork does not have to be listed so long as you state the names of all artists who created the artwork and that you have permission to include it
Not Acceptable:
  • • Selling a character or a character concept you do not have permission to sell
    • Including artwork in a transaction that you do not have permission to include
    • Falsifying permissions or copyrights
    • Selling stolen, or heavily inspired artwork or characters
    • Character trades
    • Selling premade lineart or sketches
    • Prospective character transactions
The following is a well laid out description of policies depending on the type of character transaction being done:

**Please note, reminders will be given if any of the following is not posted clearly on threads. If the reminders are not followed, threads will be removed**

The rules for selling single characters are as follows:

1.) If you are the creator of the character and all included art in the sale, state that you are, and sell your images as you please. Not stating it is your art may result in your thread being mistakenly removed. If this occurs please contact a member of the forum team.

2.) If you are NOT the creator of the character and all included art, you must:
  • a) Obtain resale permission from each artist for each image included in the sale.
    b) State the name of the artist who created each image, and that resale permissions have been obtained for each image.
    c) If you link to an album that contains images that come with the sale, you still must state the name of each artist that created each image, and that resale permissions have been obtained for each image. Do not link to an album that contains images that you do not have resale permissions for.
The rules for selling multiple characters in a single thread are as follows:

1.) If you are the creator of the characters and all included art in the sale, state that you are, and sell your images as you please. Not stating it is your art may result in your thread being mistakenly removed. If this occurs please contact a member of the forum team.

2.) If you are NOT the creator of all characters and all included art, you must:
  • a) Obtain resale permission from each artist for each character and each image included in the sale.
    b) State the name of the artist who created each character and image, and that resale permissions have been obtained for each character and image.
    c) If you link to an album that contains multiple characters, you still must state the name of each artist that created each character and image, and that resale permissions have been obtained for each character and image. Do not link to an album that contains characters or images that you do not have resale permissions for.
If you do not have confirmation for all art being sold or included in a character you wish to sell, your post/thread will be removed and action may be taken against your forum account.

Note that selling pre-colored freebies with premade characters IS NOT allowed. However, stating that you will color some number of freebies once the character has been bought is acceptable. Here is an example of what we mean:

[quote][Image of the Character for Sale is Placed Here]
$5/Δ5
I will also color 5 greyscale poses of your choice upon purchase of this character for $1/Δ1 more if you choose.
Character Disputes

If you are having an issue with a character being taken back or with wanting to take it back from someone, the ART is no longer going to be involved. We will no longer be the ones going out of our way to communicate and try to resolve issues. Instead, it will be up to you, as mature users, to resolve your disputes. We advise you are cautious with who you buy or trade characters with and check ToS details carefully.

If a character issue is reported, the only stance the ART will take, from now on, is stopping all use of the character (i.e. revoking poses, removing images from sniffs and profiles, etc.).

In order to regain usage of the character, we will require PMs from all sides of the issue stating things have been resolved. Please remember to be respectful towards your fellow users as well as the ART and administration team when you are making reports/writing PMs.

What Rules Apply to this Section?

*All Wolfhome Forum Rules apply to this section.
In addition to Posting Guidelines for WolfHome Markets thread, which includes Forum specific rules and guidelines.*

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact an administrator directly. A list of the administrators on Wolfhome can be found here at all times. [/center][/quote]
What this means for you:
- The rule regarding character transaction (C)s and permissions is gone for the time being. You will no longer receive reminders on your topics for copyrights and permissions; therefore, you will also no longer receive warnings regarding these things.
- We will not be accepting reports for topics lacking (C)s/permissions at this time. During this trial run, all reports that we receive regarding these things will not be counted against you as false reporting (unless you continue to do so after a couple of reminders). We will be closing the report and sending you a reminder/explanation that we have changed the rules.
- If you do find a case of someone falsifying permissions, breaking a ToS, or providing improper copyrights, gather proof and evidence that they are doing so and then report it. All reports made regarding permissions, ToS's, and copyrights must have all proof and evidence brought forth at the time of the report. We will not be digging through the forum to look for these things ourselves. If a report does not provide adequate proof, it will be closed until more proof can be provided.

Please keep in mind that copyrights are still required for all profile content. This rule only affects the Markets and other areas under our character and permissions rule.

While copyrights and permissions are not included in character transactions anymore, in order to ensure that the transaction is beneficial to both parties and is credible, we strongly encourage you to take the measures that were once required by the rule. It is also recommended that you take a look over our Transaction Guide as well as this guide which is directly related to (C)s and permissions.

In short:
- No (C)s or permissions on character sales topics - this is a trial run.
- Users report permission/ToS/(C) infractions.
- Reports must provide proof of infraction.

We hope that the community finds this trial run appropriate. We are excited to see what results come from it. If you have any questions or concerns, please either PM an admin or reply to this topic.

Thank you,
The Wolfhome Administration
🐈
Echelon
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Species: Dark Angel.

ayylmao
Tango
Grandmaster - One of but a few.
Pronouns: He/They
Preferred Name: Ramza

Spoiler! :
╭_________________(Image)________________╮
Loki
Archdruid - Spirit Caller
Archdruid - Spirit Caller
Pronouns: he/him
Preferred Name: Jayden
Species: Coyote

Pride

Whoohoo! :smile:

"No one bad is ever truly bad, no one good is ever truly good."

whisp

Tango wrote:
Spoiler! :

Silent between supplies and machines,
I hang in the corners like a ghost,
You know I live to be seen through.

Art.

Clovette
Omniscient
Omniscient

That gif could go two ways, lol
🐈
Bloodiath
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer
Pronouns: He/Him
Preferred Name: Bloo/Angel
Species: The Original Cyborg

Pride

Unfortunately I can see this freedom being abused so easily..
Especially if the art or lines or what have you are from someone who isn't that well known or isn't that active.
Hoping it doesn't crash and burn too quickly though.
・゜✭ 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑯𝒐𝒍𝒆 𝑰𝒏 𝑶𝒏𝒆'𝒔 𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝑮𝒆𝒕𝒔 𝑭𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒅 𝑩𝒚 𝑶𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝑨𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒀𝒐𝒖 ✫・゜
Characters / Prices / Youtube / DeviantArt / Windfall / Poses & Lines
Alekae | He/Him | 26 | Pisces | INFP | Taken |
♥ Hakukage ♥
Tango
Pronouns: He/They
Preferred Name: Ramza

Question!! Sorry if this has been answered anywhere, but,

As artists, are we allowed to require copyright be added? Like the custom characters I make, if someone wants to sell one, can I tell them it's required to put "(c) Tango" on their post with the image?
╭_________________(Image)________________╮
Echelon

Tango wrote:Question!! Sorry if this has been answered anywhere, but,

As artists, are we allowed to require copyright be added? Like the custom characters I make, if someone wants to sell one, can I tell them it's required to put "(c) Tango" on their post with the image?
Pretty sure you could have that in your ToS when selling something and then if they don't do it, it's breaking your ToS meaning you can report it. ToS can be literally anything you want, if someone wants something from you then they have to abide by it - but it's only relevant to sales made when that version of the ToS was in place. aka whatever happens before you change your ToS doesn't apply to new sales.
Bloodiath
Pronouns: He/Him
Preferred Name: Bloo/Angel
Species: The Original Cyborg

Pride

Also curious about this ^

Though as mentioned in the main post I don't think the admin team would enforce it on their own, you'd have to hope you manage to come across it yourself if it gets broken
・゜✭ 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑯𝒐𝒍𝒆 𝑰𝒏 𝑶𝒏𝒆'𝒔 𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝑮𝒆𝒕𝒔 𝑭𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒅 𝑩𝒚 𝑶𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝑨𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒀𝒐𝒖 ✫・゜
Characters / Prices / Youtube / DeviantArt / Windfall / Poses & Lines
Alekae | He/Him | 26 | Pisces | INFP | Taken |
♥ Hakukage ♥
Clovette
Omniscient
Omniscient

Echelon wrote:

Pretty sure you could have that in your ToS when selling something and then if they don't do it, it's breaking your ToS meaning you can report it. ToS can be literally anything you want, if someone wants something from you then they have to abide by it - but it's only relevant to sales made when that version of the ToS was in place. aka whatever happens before you change your ToS doesn't apply to new sales.
Yep! Just place it in your ToS and we'll handle it if it happens and is reported. We won't be hunting them down ourselves. Echelon is right about the application of the ToS. If they posted it before you put it in your ToS they can't get in trouble, but if they did it after, they can. It's a good safeguard in this situation.
🐈
Phantasma
Preferred Name: Daemon

Oh my...
Phantasma on chat.
mermaid
Pronouns: they / them
Preferred Name: Colby

Pride

whisp wrote:
Tango wrote:Image
Are you........ joking? Forcing everybody to credit the artists was literally the best thing to happen on this website and it's really sad you're removing it. It's a fucking JOKE to all artists here. From what I understood on the previous thread, it was just to stop the commenting on threads not to remove the entire rule........

I don't even come around that often but I have art I've made people and I have already in my ToS to credit me and people don't post art with characters all the time because of art theft, so now what do I do? I can't even disallow it because all the art I've made for people were before now.
Echelon

acne wrote:
whisp wrote:
Tango wrote:Image
Are you........ joking? Forcing everybody to credit the artists was literally the best thing to happen on this website and it's really sad you're removing it. It's a fucking JOKE to all artists here. From what I understood on the previous thread, it was just to stop the commenting on threads not to remove the entire rule........

I don't even come around that often but I have art I've made people and I have already in my ToS to credit me and people don't post art with characters all the time because of art theft, so now what do I do? I can't even disallow it because all the art I've made for people were before now.
Yeah, it's pretty much a big kick in the face to artists here. I'm really surprised it went through considering how many artists are also on the WH staff. How on earth are you all okay with not being credited for work you've done and having that influence more theft?
Clovette
Omniscient
Omniscient

It doesn't bother me at all as an artist, but I understand that's just me.
The OP of the topic and the vote were very clear that they were for the abolition of the rule. Please keep in mind that this is a test run, and nothing is set in stone.
🐈
Locked Previous topicNext topic