Regarding Rule #22/Character (C) and Permissions

Old announcement of past promotion rounds and updates to Wolfhome.
Phantasma
Spellweaver and Wordsmith
Preferred Name: Daemon

from my understanding, we cannot even report issues of infringements against an artist's TOS, because of this
- We will not be accepting reports for permission/(C) violations during this time.
but then it continues on to say
- If you do find a case of someone falsifying permissions, breaking a ToS, or providing improper copyrights, gather proof and evidence that they are doing so and then report it.
I am a little confused. can we report it or can't we? :c
Phantasma on chat.
Clovette
Omniscient
Omniscient
Preferred Name: Jansi
Species: Human

My bad, I can see how that's confusing. At first I had "Rule #22" and it made more sense like that, but since we did the big updates to the forum rules Rule #22 was moved to the character market and simply given the title of "(C)/permission rule". I had to edit it to reflect that so it wasn't more confusing, but I countered that, lol. What I meant is that we will not be accepting reports of users not including the information on their topic, but we are accepting reports where people falsify information. Lemme edit that. Thanks!
🐈
Guardian
The Last Skyrbender

Hello Wolfhome Community,

Rule 22 (also known as the "copyright" rule) has been officially removed from our list of enforceable rules and will not be reinstated due to the success of its trial run of being removed. This also follows the majority vote here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=188886" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a refresher from the first post, this means the following:
- No mandatory (C)s or permissions on character sales topics
- Users report permission/ToS/(C) infractions.
- Reports must provide proof of infraction.
If you have any questions or concerns of what this change entails, anyone of the administration would be more than happy to speak with you!

Thank you,
The Wolfhome Administration
ANORUK
Preferred Name: Rain
Species: goat

Pride

the fact that a rule in place to protect artists can be removed over re-sellers finding it to be a hassle is very disappointing honestly. going based off of a poll i could understand if it were a rule change that affected all users the same, but it doesn't. this rule change has a much bigger impact on artists than it does on re-sellers, and it especially affects artists who don't frequent the site and can't even see if an infringement is happening. i wont fight tooth and nail for the rule to be put back, especially when the majority of the site would disagree with me, but i will say that as an artist i'm unhappy with this change. i can only hope that this could be reconsidered with more emphasis put on how this effects the artists of this site, rather than how one minor inconvenience is removed from resales.
Mab
Pack Initiate
Pack Initiate
Pronouns: She/Her
Species: Poached Egg

This could go really bad, but I'm hoping to see integrity from all of our Wolfhome users. Everyone, please remember to request credit for your work in your TOS so that you can fight art theft!! It's common sense not to take credit for something that isn't yours, and is common sense not to do with it EXACTLY WHAT the artist asked you not to.
Mab in Chats
Mongrel
Archdruid - Spirit Caller
Archdruid - Spirit Caller

shrugs it's not as big a deal to me
it's just saying it isn't mandatory, and i honestly doubt art theft will exponentially increase due to topics not having to have copyrights. artists can put in their tos copyrights must be displayed in sale topics, and the seller would be bound to abiding to that, no different than any other tos rule. just because sellers aren't putting copyrights doesn't mean people won't recognize the art or that he seller is necessarily "stealing". the community here is small enough to recognize art and catch any theft quickly, and a place like wolfhome forums where you can be caught easier, even more so.
this is the least of my concerns regarding issues in our artist market and probably one of the things artists here should be least offended by
dont sell my art or designs here, take it offsite. do not contact me. i am not affiliated with this site.
using this forum to farm twitter blocks
dogwood
Omniscient
Omniscient

if you see art theft, users should be reporting it, it was already a rule that Wolfhome wouldn't step into disputes unless it was brought to attention, they're just not going out "witch-hunting" it to a sense now.
also a lot of times, when people lack copyrights, it's not them claiming they own the artwork, or having made it. It's a "grey area", in a sense that there's just not knowing where it came from, or knowing who the artist is. it's not a definite "YOU'VE STOLEN MY ARTWORK" until it's been reported or brought to attention.

if someone commits art theft, you're allowed to report it, you just can't report them for not listing copyrights, correct?
I just think it's stupid we haveto copyright to tv shows, when it's a gif or a photo.

edit: me and mongrel essentially agree i think, lol
ANORUK

Pride

for me its less of a concern of theft and more of a concern with unsolicited sales. with or without this rule, you are still required to follow artists tos's when selling their art, so that would require you to know the artist and go to them for permission if their tos doesn't already give you permission. going the extra step of crediting the artist and stating you have permission should not be a hassle at all if you're abiding by the rules already, which is why its so concerning to me that so many people wanted to scrap this rule. the only way it should ever be a hassle is if you didn't have proper permission to begin with. to me it just comes across as people not wanting to bother with finding permissions and wanting a way to get away with it. that's why its such a huge slap in the face.
Bateson
Studying Apprentice
Studying Apprentice
Pronouns: he/him
Species: Wild cat

I agree with you, anoruk

Hmm... I would strongly advise that artists (who don't agree with this) update their ToS to include that their credits/copyrights MUST ALWAYS be listed whenever someone sells/trades artwork they have done. Or else people will be in breach of artists' ToS by not including their name, regardless of the WH rule. Correct?
I may bend, but I don't break.
ANORUK

Pride

that could be done, but since ToS's cant be retroactively added to old art, it would only apply to art you sell after you update the ToS
Tango
Grandmaster - One of but a few.
Grandmaster - One of but a few.
Pronouns: He/They
Preferred Name: Ramza

╭_________________(Image)________________╮
Senka
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer
Spirit Guide - Wise Healer

we should also keep in mind, we get quite a bit of characters coming in and leaving wolfhome, meaning from other artists than just here.

its a lot easier now for people to sell when they dont have permission to do so, because no one will have a clue who
the artist is if they are from offsite
with that being said, the artist will have no idea their art is being sold along with buyers because theyll have no idea who the artist is if
its not stated or watermarked.

i have bought a character that couldnt have been sold on wolfhome, and the artist was not around to see that
SO even if the artist is stated, it does happen BUT thankfully, the artist was stated and i was able to contact them.
fungus
Art Committee Leader
Art Committee Leader
Pronouns: they/she
Preferred Name: autumn
Species: deercat

Pride

not so Sure about this
cicada
ginger dog
ginger dog
Pronouns: she/her

I hate this haha
no longer active. please contact me on discord @cicadajo for any art-related enquiries
Inzi
Shaman - Secret Keeper
Shaman - Secret Keeper

Tango wrote:Image

on a break.
for anyone trying to find me, my discord: iinzi#2963
Locked Previous topicNext topic